[Koha-devel] RFC Adding column to biblio for Remainder Of Title - Was: RFC: Koha : Merge biblio & biblioitems tables

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Mon Nov 24 17:00:06 CET 2008

While we are talking about changes to the biblio table I would like to
propose a change.

Looking at the file
installer/data/mysql/en/marcflavour/marc21/mandatory/marc21_framework_DEFAULT.sql I see that the subfield 245$b is linked to the koha table bibliosubtitle.subtitle, which seems to not exist anymore.  I'm sure this is left over from Koha 2.2.  I remember this table from before, and so do my librarians.

My librarians ask that the marc21 field 245$b be shown on the search
results page.  I found that by adding a column to the biblio table and
linking it in the marc structure I could get the value to export to the
template.  This happened even though the column in the database remains
empty.

I can submit a patch to add a column to the biblio table to this end.
I'm thinking it would be linked in marc21 to the 245$b, as I have said.
In Unimarc it seems 200$e is a good candidate.  I don't know Unimarc,
and so I hope someone who does can contribute to this RFC a
recommendation on which subfield to use there.

Once I have community support I will get on the wiki for
updatedatabase.pl and reserve an update number for this patch.  The name
of the column could be either `subtitle` or `remainderoftitle`.  The
`remainderoftitle` name represents the use of the column in respect to
Marc21.  The `subtitle` name is more historic, and is probably based on
the expectation of linking this field in Unimarc to 200$e (subtitle).
Looking at 2.2.9 code though I don't see bibliosubtitle.subtitle linked
in the Unimarc structure.  I'm leaning toward `subtitle` because it is
shorter.  However I'm open to suggestions here.

The final detail is whether I should put together a script to go in misc
which would get values from the marc to fill in the column of the
database for existing records.