[Koha-devel] RFC: Koha : Merge biblio & biblioitems tables

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Nov 24 23:48:14 CET 2008

Paul POULAIN wrote:

> As we are doing this, could we change the table name (biblios). I think
> it should be written in our coding guidelines that table names are plural.

Nitpick: if all tables end in "s", isn't the "s" redundant?

I always name tables sans plural. When you ask for a record from the
"biblio" table using ORM, you get a Biblio object, not a Biblios object.
When you ask DBI to SELECT a row from the biblio table, you get a biblio
hash. (Yes, of course you can ask for many in the SELECT, but then you get
an array of biblio).

Since we are going to proceed to using ORM, I would not want to see
the plural used on the data model classes, i.e. an instance of
C4::Borrowers implies it is a class that has *many* borrowers in
an instance. This is inaccurate. A C4::Borrower object represents a single
borrower.

cheers
rickw