[Koha-devel] mod_perl (was: DBIx::Class stuff)

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Nov 25 00:05:28 CET 2008

Andrew Moore wrote:

> I've long suspected that Koha could benefit from using mod_perl, too.
> Do you know of any work done to see if it's possible or what changes
> would need to be made in order to allow it?

There are unwanted caching effects, i.e.

(*) data global to a script, i.e. file level variables, will persist
     across invocation which can caused surprising data leaks from one
     web request to the next. SOLUTION: get rid of file level data
     and move it into objects or subroutines

(*) the scripts and perl modules themselves are precompiled and cached.
     When a script or module is modified the web server has to be
     restarted.

There may be advantages to using other schemes to speed up web services.

cheers
rickw