[Koha-devel] mod_perl (was: DBIx::Class stuff)

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:24:55 CET 2008

Frederic, regarding Apache2::Reload, I think that is an interesting module,
but I find their performance
warnings<http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/Reload.html#Performance_Issues>offputting,
basically that (1) you have to use a "touch" file and (2) child
memory not shared back w/ parent, so memory load increases markedly.  Their
conclusion:

This module is perfectly suited for a development environment. Though it's
possible that you would like to use it in a production environment [to avoid
restarts]... doing a full server stop and restart is probably a better
solution.
Currently we don't have to restart apache when code is updated.  Of course
increasing memory load not a surprise, since it is part of the idea behind
caching, but their warning makes me wonder how much it might be.  I think an
apache restart is not a bad tradeoff if the performance benefit is there.

Rick suggests running under different apache server instances for each Koha
DB.  This would be safest, and might work for some environments, but I don't
think it will work well for a web farm like ours.  It should be expected
that running 50+ copies of Apache and 50+ perl interpreters and 50+ copies
of the same core and required modules on each webserver in the farm is going
to be detrimental to performance.  And it pretty quickly defeats the point
of caching.

--Joe