[Koha-devel] RFC: Koha 3.2 : Mandate item-level circulation rules

Nicolas Morin nicolas.morin at biblibre.com
Mon Oct 13 09:53:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Ryan Higgins <ryan.higgins at liblime.com> wrote:

> [ this text also available at:
> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:rfcs3.2:rfc32_item_level_itemtypes
> ]
>
> RFC: Koha 3.2
>
> Mandate item-level circulation rules.
>
> Currently we use the system preference item-level_itypes to indicate whether
> Koha
> should use the itemtype stored at the bibliographic level or the item level
> to control
> circulation parameters.  This seems to be one of the more significant
> distinctions in general policy
> between US and French libraries, and was also one of the major limitations
> of Koha 2.x
> in the eyes of US libraries.

Actually, I think there's some nuance, there: it's not a functional
requirement for French libraries as such. They would be perfectly
happy, I think, to work with item-level itypes (some of them already
do). It's rather a historical fact as far as I can tell: when Koha was
first implemented in French libraries, biblio-level type was the way
Koha handled things and it suited them because these small libraries
didn't need the flexibility of an item level type. So far we
(BibLibre) have insisted on biblio level because our whole client-base
(bar a few clients) work that way: it's a legacy issue for us, not
really a functional issue.
But now that Koha is being implemented in bigger libraries in France
(as in the US and elsewhere), we need the item level types. And we do
agree with you that it's much better.
So we would be quite willing to entirely let go of the biblio-level
option, on condition that the RFC would take into account the
scripting of the switch from "3.0 with biblio-level" to "3.2 with
item-level".
On a related note: while the circulation rules should be applied to
the item level itype, the search limits and document icons in the opac
should still use something coming out of the biblio : the biblio level
type should still be used for that.
Regards,
Nicolas

Regards,