[Koha-devel] adding a model abstraction ?

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Wed Oct 15 18:41:00 CEST 2008

I highly favor adopting DBIx::Class or another db abstraction layer
over writing our own lightweight  abstraction layer.  While it will seem
lighter at first to create our own, we will want to add more functionality,
multi-db support, etc.  I think it is better to take advantage of the
excellent
work already out there for this.

Andy (acmoore) here at LibLime has been investigating DBIx::Class as
a side project; he will likely post some results soon.

Regards,

Ryan

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Marc Chantreux <
marc.chantreux at biblibre.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:45:07AM -0400, Joe Atzberger wrote:
> > Marc --
>
> yeah, i know ... that's almost a part of your autoreply, now :)
>
> > It is a little more of an OO approach, and I'll be interested to see
> > what you think of it.
>
> it would be a pleasure to me.
>
> I didn't use OO approach because koha don't use it but i think that
> adding some objects to koha code would be a very good idea.
>
> Encapsulate DBI stuff in objects is the mean of ORMs and CPAN have
> very good ones such as Jifty::DBI or DBIx::Class. What's your opinion
> about them? Don't you think that koha use one of these ?
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Marc Chantreux
> http://www.biblibre.com
> Expert en Logiciels Libres pour l'info-doc

Ryan Higgins

LibLime  *  Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457  x704