[Koha-devel] availability of a reserved item

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Oct 29 13:53:17 CET 2008

Owen Leonard a écrit :
>> I know our patrons are confused by "available". We've had more then one
>> patron come in to pick up an item that the OPAC said was available only to
>> discover that the book was on the hold shelf for another patron an they
>> could not take it out. How about something like "not currently on shelf".
>
> Susan, do you suggest "not currently on shelf" because you don't want
> to show that the item is on hold? We used "not on shelf" at one time
> and found that it too was confusing for patrons, being so ambiguous.

In the french translation, we have replaced "disponible" (=available) by
"en rayon" (on shelves), as patrons find "disponible" confusing when a
book is available but can't be issued + some other "strange" cases.
The "en rayon" is really clear we think : it doesn't mean anything on
the "issuability" of the item, it just means the book is on the library !
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com