[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2: stop copying item data to MARC and MARCXML

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Sep 30 14:26:18 CEST 2008

Galen Charlton a écrit :

> Consequently, I propose the following changes, in order of priority:
>
> 1. Take item data out of biblioitems.marc*.  Instead, whenever item
> records need to be embedded in a MARC bib record (primarily during
> Zebra indexing or record export), do it on the fly.  If a bib record
> has lots of items, this will still be an expensive operation, but it
> will take place in a batch job or indexing daemon.
> 2. Separate the item field mapping from the rest of the MARC
> framework.  Allow multiple item field mappings, each identified by a
> code, and add the ability to specify a mapping to be used during
> record import, export, or indexing.
> 3. Switch to Zebra's DOM filter and supply item data for indexing
> outside of the MARC bib record; instead, define an XML schema to wrap
> bib, item, and summary records without force the last two to be
> embedded in the MARC.  This is similar to an idea that I believe Tümer
> Garip proposed back in 2006.

this is a good idea. BUT : it means making heavy changes in Koha, as
it's the core of most features we have. Even if we have nice packages &
a stable API, I think the changes will be heavy. I spoke of that with
hdl this morning, he fully agree.

So I think this change must be carefully estimated, and double checked
if we can include that in 3.2 with the timeline you've announced (and
that I fully agree with)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com