[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2: stop copying item data to MARC and MARCXML

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Tue Sep 30 19:45:47 CEST 2008

Oops -- hit send instead of save :/   to complete my thought :

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Ryan Higgins <ryan.higgins at liblime.com>wrote:

> Yes, this will be a significant change, but one I think is necessary.
> It will only be more difficult to test later when more features are added.
>
> Serial records become unmanageable when they

... reach a couple hundred items.  We had a couple of  bugs caused by
the duplication of the data in early 3.0 that were subsequently fixed, but
caused
the data in marc vs items table to become out of sync.

I think this move will improve performance quite a bit, as it not only
affects
many-item records, but our availability and circ status.  Some quick
profiling
reveals that xml parsing is by far the greatest component of most operations
in Koha.  Removing the need to parse the full bib record on every circ
transaction
should be a good step in improving performance imo.

Ryan