[Koha-devel] Environment and tools for Koha development

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:23:30 CEST 2009

Start at the general development wiki:
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development

The most important tool common to all Koha developers is git:
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:git_usage

You can add gitweb (for publishing the repo) and other git-related tools.
Alternatively, or additionally, you might make use of github (free repo host
-- great if you don't have a permanent development server).

Then you will need tools for whatever specific feature you are working on.
For web interface pieces, that usually includes Firefox and Firebug, but for
LDAP it might be Apache Directory Server.  For multiple platforms or install
checking, some kind of virtualization is a great asset.  I use VMware on my
desktop and we use Xen in production environments.

I can't speak to using Eclipse...
--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions