[Koha-devel] Improving Koha's OPAC Search

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Thu Dec 10 18:28:10 CET 2009

Koha uses two methods of searching in the OPAC, and in general.  The
first is through third party open source package from IndexData called
Zebra.  The second is NoZebra mode.  My opinion is that applying your
algorithm to the NoZebra mode would be the easiest option here.  Unless
you want to also work with IndexData to add to that package.

I'm not totally familiar with how NoZebra searches work currently, but
my understanding is that there is a database table of search terms and
the record id's associated with those terms.  Others from the list may
have a better understanding, or be able to provide more details.  Point
is that there may need to be some changes to the database as part of
implementing your algorithm.  This isn't a big deal though, Koha has an
upgrade mechanism to handle this.

The big catch is that library formats (MARC) will play a big role in
what is index for searching.  Some limited knowledge will be necessary.
This may be provided by members of the Koha developer community though.
Just be warned that the various MARC formats are complex.

To summarize: adding your algorithm to Koha is possible, and will be
easy with help from the developers community.

Good luck with your project.