[Koha-devel] Clarify timeout syspref?

Wagner, Jane jwagner at ptfs.com
Thu Feb 19 20:12:08 CET 2009

Can someone clarify the timeout system preference?  In the 3.0.x manual
site, it says

Inactivity timeout for cookies authentication (in seconds).  This
preference applies to both the staff client and the OPAC.

Default Value: 12000000

If I'm doing the math right, the default value translates to an
extremely large number of hours.  Is seconds right for this value?  Or
should it be milliseconds?

If seconds is correct, can someone give me background on why the default
is so large, and why the manual says it shouldn't be changed after
installation?  I don't want to make changes here until I'm sure of what
it's doing.

Thanks much!

Jane Wagner
Library Systems Analyst