[Koha-devel] MARC fields order

Bryan Baldus eijabb at cpan.org
Tue Feb 24 01:06:56 CET 2009

At 11:04 AM -0500 2/23/09, Eric Bégin wrote:
>I do have an Koha installation that has a strange problem.  The MARC
>Fields are not numerically ordered.
>Anybody know how those fields are sorted?

MARC fields don't necessarily need to be sorted
numerically, especially for 5xx and 6xx fields.
Some catalogers say the fields should be in tag
number order, but others say that the 5xx should
be in AACR2 order, or in order of importance
(allowing for putting a field first if deemed
more important than AACR2 order would have it).
So, for video records, 538 should be the first
note, followed by 546, then other notes. For 6xx,
the order is of importance/relevance--the most
important subject heading would be listed 1st and
is often intended to match the classifications.
For example, if a book is chiefly about United
States--Politics and government--2001-, with some
coverage (more than 20%, less than U.S. politics
and government) of Presidents--United
States--Biography, the 6xx would have 651
followed by 650. The system should not reorder
the fields unless explicitly told to do so by the
cataloger.

I hope this helps,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger