[Koha-devel] Clarify timeout syspref?

Wagner, Jane jwagner at ptfs.com
Tue Feb 24 13:39:34 CET 2009

-----Original Message-----
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM, paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
>> Wagner, Jane a écrit :
>>> Can someone clarify the timeout system preference?  In the 3.0.x manual
>>> site, it says
>>>
>> Hi Jane,
>>> Inactivity timeout for cookies authentication (in seconds).  This
>>> preference applies to both the staff client and the OPAC.
>>>
>>> Default Value: 12000000
>>>

> I think at some point someone probably complained they were getting
> disconnected too much so it got set to a really high value.

One problem is : as far as I can see, there's only one timeout, while
there probably should be 2 : one for opac, one for intranet. Short for
opac, long for intranet, where you want to : start cataloging a book,
go have a coffee, continue cataloging that darn book.
my 2 cts
Nicolas

That's one reason I was looking at the syspref (thanks to all for the responses).  It would be useful to specify that an OPAC session should close after x minutes of inactivity -- especially for a public workstation in a library.  However, a staff session should have a much longer timeout.  We may try to do something with this at some point....

Jane Wagner
Library Systems Analyst
PTFS Inc.
6400 Goldsboro Road, Suite 200