[Koha-devel] [Koha] barcodes,

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Jul 3 18:43:42 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Chris Nighswonger <
cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 8:10 AM, mike re-v<mrmrmr50 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> > print to file and send it to me, I'll see if I can open it.
> > Alternatively, hexedit will open, it and it could look at the leader
> > and the end byte codes to see what it is you are producing.Then compare
> what you are producing to what works.
> >
> > from the command line $ hexedit foo.pdf
> >

> Alternately you can just open the pdf in a plain text editor and check
> to see that the barcode data is there. PDF is a sort of mangled Post
> Script stream.
>

> Below is the stream for a single item. The line with the series of
> zeros and ones is the barcode. However, I can confirm that the
> barcodes do not display in Reader 9.0 while they do in 7.0. Versions
> 8.0 and 9.0 use PDF version 1.7 while 7.0 uses 1.6. There may be a
> subtle difference in syntax that causes the breakage. I'll open a bug
> and try to take a look at it next week.

The issue here is not a Koha issue, but *probably* an issue where Adobe
Reader does not maintain backward compatibility. Fortunately the fix is not
so bad. We just switch from embedding the barcodes as a Type3 font to
graphical embedding. I'll submit a patch later today against the current
HEAD. It will need to be back-ported to the 3.0.x branch as well.

Regards,
Chris