[Koha-devel] Staff client keyboard shortcuts

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Jul 14 21:35:24 CEST 2009

I'd like to start a discussion on how keyboard shortcuts are
implemented in the staff client so that going forward developers can
be working according to the same playbook. Right now there are two
different kinds of keyboard shortcuts:

- shortcuts via the accesskey attribute
- shortcuts via a jQuery plugin, hotkeys
(http://code.google.com/p/js-hotkeys/). (Please note that this was
recently updated in HEAD and the syntax has changed).

The advantage of the accesskey method is of course that it's not
javascript-dependent. The disadvantage is that different browsers
handle accesskeys differently, a combination of keys is usually
required (Alt+ or Ctrl+Alt+), and not all keys or key combinations
will be available (for instance, because of conflicts with built-in
browser shortcuts).

The advantage of the javascript method is that it is possible to
configure single-key shortcuts, although I think different browsers
will still retain their shortcuts. Try this demo page:
http://jshotkeys.googlepages.com/test-static-01.html.

Currently the core set of accesskeys are "u" for Check Out, "r" for
Check In, and "q" for Search. The javascript-based match for these is
"Alt-u," "Alt-r," and "Alt-q." Darrell Ulm just submitted a patch that
would add "F12" to the list of js-based shortcuts, used for printing a
circ slip.

Ideally our goal would be to provide shortcuts via accesskeys wherever
possible, and supplement the accesskey method with javascript-based
shortcuts. However, this limits us to keys which are valid for the
accesskey method.

Going forward, how should we choose the default keyboard shortcuts?

Should we attempt to fall back on accesskeys? If no, should we expand
the use of js-based keyboard shortcuts?

Eager for opinions,

  Owen

--