[Koha-devel] Translation of SQL files

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Wed Jul 29 17:48:56 CEST 2009

This is a good point.  I would counter with my opinion that the
templates are just as necessary to begin installation, but the point is
still valid.

The question becomes can the current translation process be easily
extended to handling the SQL files separate from the parser?  That would
probably be the best way to go, and there certainly needs to be a
separation of the frameworks from the description of the tag/subfields.

Perhaps the best way would be to have just the two SQL files for the
default frameworks, i.e. one for MARC21 and one for UNIMARC.  Then have
separate SQL files which are more translatable, which do SQL UPDATES.

This way the current database structure could be used.  On the other
hand this creates a sort of system language.

Where the template language can be changed by the user perhaps the MARC
framework language should be too.  This brings us back Ricardo's Option
B.  Have a separate table to hold different translations of the MARC
framework.  Then show the user which ever translation they have selected
from this table.

This would allow the MARC framework descriptions to follow the users
selected language, but would require more complex code (probably in the
SQL).

Some food for thought anyway.

--
Michael Hafen