[Koha-devel] Using a Native XML Database with Koha

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Jun 3 15:19:19 CEST 2009

Mike Hafen a écrit :
> Funny you should mention this now.  I was just thinking about removing
> MARC from Koha and dropping in DC.  Switching to all XML is a much
> better idea.
>
> The reason I was thinking about this is because some people I work
> with want to use Koha for Asset Management and Inventory.  I have a
> few librarians already doing it along side the library holdings.  My
> thought was that DC would handle equipment better than MARC.
>
> So now I'm thinking of just dropping the binary marc column, and
> instead of frameworks have record formats for MARC, DC, etc.  I'd also
> have to use NoZebra.  I don't know if I could get zebra to index
> different formats like that.
The structure to support non MARC is at early stage, but is here since 2.0

Having datas twice (biblio & items and marcxml row), with the help of
TransformMarcToKoha should be very helpfull.

Dirty hack :
- modify TransformMarcToKoha to deal with DC (or whatever you want) (and
some other subs inside C4/Biblio.pm and C4/Items.pm)
- rewrite MARC editor display DC (big job...)
- do the XSLT to display the MARC record
- update zebra config file to index DC

That should be enough... All other things (circ,...) should work like a
charm without any changes.

Of course, that's the theory.
And you know that "theory and practise are the same... in theory"

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com