[Koha-devel] Koha-3.0.2 Stable release

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Jun 7 14:11:30 CEST 2009

LAURENT Henri-Damien <henridamien at koha-fr.org> wrote:
> This release is bugfix only release, and doesnot include new
> features which would require some database changes.

Thanks for the new release announcement.  I've updated bugs.koha.org
numbers 988, 1578, 1907, 2287, 2540, 2620, 2672, 2863, 2870, 2974,
3013, 3081, 3119 and 3162 to FIXED, based on the release notes.

As you know, I'm a statistician, so I hope koha-devel don't mind
asking about a few of the release statistics:

Given the "does not include new features" comment, why were the
enhancements included? (particularly bugs 988, 1578, 3081)

Why were 15 PATCH-Sent rel_3_0 non-enhancement bug fixes available in
bugs.koha.org not included? (bugs 1837, 2151, 2415, 2543, 2555, 2747,
2769, 2777, 2785, 2792, 2805, 2809, 2982, 3064, 3067, 3165, 3166,
3241, 3261)

Working from bugs.koha.org reports generator, it seems 36 biblibre
bugfixes were included in this release, but only 15 liblime ones and
very few from the other development companies.  The last 3 months of
patch submissions to rel_3_0 bugs look like 37 biblibre, 25 liblime
and 19 from other companies.

So in short, biblibre has almost 100% fix inclusion rate this release,
liblime has 60% inclusion and the other companies were wasting their
time submitting patches for 3.0.2.  What steps can we take to
rebalance whose patches get into release 3.0.3?  What does the RM want
to see from non-biblibre patch-senders that biblibre ones give?

> The next release scheduled in July will include features which are now
> in master but not ported yet to stable [...]

Please can we make those new features available as contribs, rather
than trying to introduce new features during a stable series?

In general, "new features" and "stable release" are contradictory
ideas, unless those features come as side-effects of bugfixes.  I feel
that the above shows that there are still bugfixes to include.  I
suspect including new features in 3.0 will also make the 3.2 RM more
difficult.

Thanks for any answers,
--
MJ Ray (slef).  LMS developer and supporter for a small, friendly