[Koha-devel] Questions about waitingreserves.pl report in Circulation

Liz Rea lrea at nekls.org
Tue Jun 2 19:02:26 CEST 2009

Developers:
We had a few questions about the waitingreserves.pl report. Of course
the scenario is specific to our consortium but wanted to get your take
on it.

1. The location displayed in the ACTION column when canceling a 'hold
over' item is the item's home library; but often, there is a hold on
the item for another library (not the home library). It is the next
library in the holds queue that should display in this column, rather
than the item home location.

2. Canceling the 'hold over' from waitingreserves.pl should trigger a
transit prompt, instructing the staff person to send the item on to
the hold library, if a hold exists on the item. This doesn't happen.
Nothing happens when the 'hold over' is canceled. A staff person,
seeing the information displayed in the ACTION column, would naturally
assume that the item is to return to its home library. So, regardless
of whether a hold exists, the 'hold over' canceled item is being
returned home. We have found that a hold transit prompt will trigger
if the canceled hold item is checked in after it is canceled. But this
is a two-step process that we have not yet trained any of our
libraries to perform, as we just discovered this issue. We are seeing
lots of problems associated with this, since many hold items are being
sent back to their home locations, instead of their next hold location.

Attached is a screen shot illustrating the issue. The cancel hold
item, TWILIGHT, has a long hold list, but the instructions say to
return the item to its home location, MCLOUTH. It should actually go
to NORTONVILLE to fill the next hold on the list, as illustrated in
the second screen shot, which is the transit prompt that only displays
if the item is Checked In.

Is this an area where development will need to be sponsored, or is it
a known issue/bug? I looked and was unable to find anything on it in
bugzilla, so apologies if I missed it.

Thanks for your time and efforts and for putting out a great product

Liz Rea
NEKLS