[Koha-devel] C4::Members Attributes tightener integration

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:25:24 CET 2009

I have mixed opinions about this.  On the one hand it seems reasonable, and
on the other it seems unnecessary.  There are only three places that call
AddMember: memberentry, import_borrowers and Auth_with_ldap.  In fact, I
recently coded a feature for a client so that import_borrowers has a runtime
option on how to handle extended attributes (overwrite all, or preserve --
like other fields).  Making a separate call for the attributes was not a
serious problem.  LDAP currently can't handle extended attributes, so
there's no benefit there.

This overwrite/preserve issue would need to be addressed in the refactor
also, to ensure that we know for sure what behavior is expected when
ModMember (in particular) is called.  In the case where only extended
attributes are being edited, it certainly is logically simpler to have a
call just for that, though that doesn't necessarily preclude the kind of
integration you propose.

--Joe