[Koha-devel] Need to Modify Marc Import Tool

savitra sirohi savitra.sirohi at osslabs.biz
Thu Mar 12 05:06:27 CET 2009

Folks,

One of our customers wants the ability to import Follett marc records
without having to use Marc Edit (to change fields 852 to 952).

We want to make this change generic such that it will work for any
import file that has holdings in fields other than 952.

This is what we were thinking, will appreciate feedback on this design:

1. Use marc_subfield_structure table to store field structure of the
import file. So Follett would have records under its framework code.
We could create frameworks for other vendors too.
2. Accept framework code as user input from stage-marc-import.pl. User
could choose nothing which means input file already has holdings in
952. Or could choose Follett or some other vendor.
3. Pass framework code as parameter to BatchStageMarcRecords
(C4/ImportBatch.pm) and from there to AddItemsToImportBiblio
(C4/ImportBatch.pm).
4. In AddItemsToImportBiblio
- Use the input framework code in GetMarcFromKohaField (C4/Biblio.pm)
to fetch Follett holdings fields and subfields
- Fetch default fields and subfields (952) using null framework code, as
is currently done.
- For each subfield set values appropriately (in the case of Follett
952s = 852s) before saving item record.
5. Initially the code will help with holdings tags, and later we could
extend this to biblio tags as well.

Thanks,
Savitra Sirohi
Nucsoft OSS Labs