[Koha-devel] Add Biblio slow

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Mar 31 14:32:50 CEST 2009

> We are hosting Koha successfully, but the "add biblio" screen
> is really a big problem (accessed via the internet).
> Is there anything to be done to circumvent this issue? The problem is not
> Javascript related.

It is both Javascript-related and HTML-related. The default MARC
framework is very large. When I view the source for the page it comes
to 23320 lines of markup. That's about 800k of markup, not even
counting the javascript and CSS files, although 95% of those should
already be cached by your browser.

The second factor that slows down cataloging is the process of saving
records. That takes a long time too, and that's where the javascript
factors in more. There is javascript to validate every field and
subfield, to check whether any mandatory fields are missing. This
process is time-consuming as well.

Both problems can be mitigated by paring down your framework.
Eliminate any tags and subfields you're not likely to use. Create
multiple frameworks so that each one can be efficiently designed to
contain only what you need for that material type.

The other option is to do your cataloging outside of Koha. I'm not
sure what tools are available. My library actually pays a subscription
fee to use proprietary software. We simply never altered our
cataloging process when we switched to Koha years ago. And of course
there's biblios.net, but that's another web-based tool, so I don't
know how well it will perform for you where you are.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries