[Koha-devel] Impossible to register on Koha site

LAURENT Henri-Damien laurenthdl at alinto.com
Wed Nov 11 10:19:59 CET 2009

Peter Mwangi wrote:

> Dear Collegues,
>

> The library has a collection of 40,000 volumes. A few months ago we
> decided to migrate to Koha and I have already loaded all the records
> in Koha. However, it seems the barcodes in Alice Graduate 6.0 were
> entered as R110483232, R493213232, R004053232. This means the letters
> M, N and Y were ignored. The current challenge I have is how I could
> configure the gryphon M100 scanner to ignore the letters. If not, are
> there changes I could do in koha to ignore the 7^th digit? All I am
> trying to avoid is to manually type the 7^th Digit for the 40,000+
> volumes!
>

> Kindly help.

As you said two solutions :
- I would first try and configure the scanner to skip that M,N,Y, letter.
The problem is to find in your handbook the correct code and setup which
will achieve that.

- updating all the barcodes in koha is quite easy. But would be in three
steps :
first SQL update on items table to remove the MNY letter (concat and
substring would help)
then synch items in marc with a script prepared and meant for that
(misc/maintenance directory)
then reindex.
Hope that helps.
--