[Koha-devel] git.koha.org outage

Clay Fouts clay.fouts at liblime.com
Wed Nov 25 18:09:55 CET 2009

I've discovered that a web crawler was opening up large numbers of
simultaneous requests for the RSS/Atom feed. Each of these requests
runs an instance of git-diff-tree, which consumes quite a lot of
memory and CPU time. Enough of these requests pile up, and the kernel
invokes its oom-killer to take care of business. This often times has
the unfortunate side effect of killing off key processes, like apache
and SSH.

In order to have another repeat of this, I've disabled gitweb's
RSS/Atom feed functionality. It's a little ham-fisted, but not being a
git expert, it's the work-around that is most obvious to me right now
to stabilize things. If anyone can suggest a solution that can keep
the system stable while not removing functionality, please let me
know.

Clay