[Koha-devel] RFC: Koha Book Cover System

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 00:31:07 CEST 2009

Selecting and storing images locally for all holdings sounds like a pain.

I can imagine a cooperatively held db (hello, koha foundation) of
records that look like:

isbn/issn/other globally unique id that identifies the holding in a
way that makes searches possible
url to images (front, back, etc) - maybe they're on flickr, or in amazon land
image license and/or attribution statement
caching limits
who updated
when updated

And some simple REST style api that allowed a module to display the
attribution and use the image url directly for display or via a
(potentially caching) proxy for local library networks that might
require it.

And a mechanism for adding/updating records to the cooperatively held
db. And for automatically using them maybe based on who updated them
in case some folks turn out to be bad at it.

A variation -- instead the central db providing the look up service.
It could provide just the collective DB with your local koha instance
subscribing to updates. So, the user load of the lookup is local but
we get the benefit of sharing the effort of selecting images.
(Reinvention of usenet data flow architecture sort of.)

-reed