[Koha-devel] Biblio table

Rosalie Blake rosablake at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 04:39:40 CEST 2010

Hello all
Thanks Bob for a good explanation, although we really weren't thinking about
films when we developed the schema of biblio, groups (or biblioitems) and
items.
We originally designed Koha this way to deal with what I thought of as the
Anne Frank problem, which is the problem of taking reserves for a title
which has been published many times in a variety of formats. When a class of
students come in asking for copies of this, they really don't care whether
they get the copy published under "Diary of a young girl/ by Anne Frank" or
the copy with title "Anne Frank's diary/ by Anne Frank" or the title "The
diary of Anne Frank/ by Anne Frank" . All the books (and probably many more
variants) contain the same text - ie the words Anne actually wrote, the
information about the author and when it was copyrighted and a description
of the subject. These pieces of information are true of all the titles I
quoted. The students want to place reserves, and the library staff want to
fill those reserves in the order in which they are placed. If all the copies
have  individual biblio entries, there is no way Koha can places reserves
across all copies, other than the very tedious process of placing every
reserve on every copy, and then trying to sort out which reserves have been
filled and who is entitled to the next available copy.  In Koha 1, you could
place a reserve on all the items attached to the biblio. As long as the
cataloguer was alert to the fact that she/he had the same piece of
intellectual property published under variant titles, and it didn't matter
to the reader whether it was a paperback or a hardback, or large print, it
all worked like a dream.

Librarians may recognise the essence of FRBR in the differentiation between
the intellectual property (biblio in Koha) and the different manifestations
of it. The next edition of AACR rules will be along these lines.

Rosalie Blake