[Koha-devel] [Koha] [KOHA] Koha GIT - Cloned the main repository but stuck on how to proceed

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Mon Aug 2 14:02:19 CEST 2010

2010/8/2 Susan Mustafa <susan.mustafa at gmail.com>:
> Dear Chris, and all Koha,
>
> This might not be best place to ask, but I am new to GIT and I have searched
> all day on a way to do the following.
>

> [Development] [Test] [Production] <--Big Servers, not laptop
>
> [Development Server to have]
> ============[Koha GIT Clone] ====> sudo git clone
> git://git.koha-community.org/koha.git koha-clone
> ========================[Company Branch] =====>sudo git branch --track
> MSDR-Branch origin/master
> [Test Server to have]
> ==================Only Test Code [no git]
> [Production Server to have]
> ==================Only Production Code [no git]

I am unclear as to why you ran the commands as sudo, you will now have
a git repository owned as root

What I would have done is
git clone git://git.koha-community.org/koha.git koha-clone
git checkout -b  MSDR-Branch --track origin/master

> Now I believe up to this point I understand and it is working fine. However
> I am stuck on the following:
>
> [My Laptop - Local Development]
>
> - How do I checkout the MSDR-Branch on this laptop, so I can make changes to
> it, and commit those changes to the MSDR-Branch. [Help please].  I did alot
> of different commands, non of which work.

The above commands would have made a new branch that tracks
origin/master (do you really want to track master which is what will
become 3.2 or the 3.0.x branch where the 3.0.x releases come from?)

> Assuming the laptop has SSH installed, and the IP is 123.xx.xxx.xxx
>
> I searched google for remote branches/checking out remote branches/....and I
> don't know how to proceed.  It all seems complicated? Do I use checkout
> command, and how do I access the MSDR-Branch from the server while working
> from laptop.

If you want to work on the repository on your laptop, you simply clone it
so on your laptop

git clone ssh://username@servername.or.ip/path/to/kohaclone kohaclone

Now you have the repository cloned to your laptop
git checkout -b MSDR-Branch --track origin/MSDR-Branch

And a branch that tracks it.
NOTE: If this fails due to permissions it is probably because you
created your repository on your server as root. You should fix the
permissions

You can then do your work
edit a file
git commit file
if you want that change on your server
git push

Occasionally you will want to do a git pull to get the latest changes
from other members of your team also.

Of course when working on GPLed code as Koha is, you have the option
of hosting your repository somewhere like gitorious or github. That
way others can benefit from the work you do and work isn't duplicated,
and you are giving back to the project.

Chris