[Koha-devel] Error when doing a git Koha clone over http ("refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?")

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Aug 16 04:03:43 CEST 2010

Ricardo Dias Marques wrote:
> Today (11-Aug-2010), I tried to do a git Koha clone over http, from
> the Koha Community's Git repository ("git.koha-community.org").
> I'm cloning over http, instead of using the native "git" protocol,
> because my Koha server (a virtual machine running SUSE Linux - SLES
> 11) is behind a restrictive firewall.

Couldn't you change the firewall to allow tcp port 9418, or forward
that port over a ssh connection?  I think it will give faster service.

[...]
> Am I doing something wrong, or is it necessary that someone, like
> Galen, runs "git update-server-info on the server" again ("server"
> being the git server running at "git.koha-community.org")? If running
> again this command on the git server is necessary, would it be
> possible to run that as a cronjob in that git server, to prevent that
> this problem happens again (or is that a bad idea, for some reason)?

After much searching for something I half-remembered, I discovered
http://stats.workbuffer.org/irclog/koha/2010-08-11#i_484170
where Galen says "clone over http is now working again" and "it was a
change in the apache config that broke it; few enough users of
clone-over-http that I don't thnk anybody had noticed" but you already
know that.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef) Webmaster and developer for hire at | software