[Koha-devel] (sort of) Refactoring rebuild_zebra

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:26:36 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Chris Cormack wrote:
>> On 20 August 2010 09:39, Michael Hafen <mdhafen at tech.washk12.org> wrote:
>> > I wonder now if we could seperate the two.  So cataloging updated zebra
>> > immediately, but circulation was queued.
>> >
>> > Would that work?
>> >
>> Its certainly a possibility, would involve a bit of work, since the
>> calls are down in module level, not script level, and at that level
>> often the code doesn't know whether it's being called as a result of
>> circulation, or a cataloguing change, (or a branch transfer  .. or
>> whatever else i've forgotten :-))
>
> This would be good because I sometimes get asked if Koha's index does
> "realtime" updating and at the moment the honest answer depends how
> you define "realtime".  Unlike other systems, librarians can see for
> themselves the index update process.
>
> But I don't know if this limits adoption, as so far no library has
> offered to pay the co-op to change it.  ;-)
>
> I have a slight concern about the rebuild_zebra.pl rewrite: is it
> perpetuating the daemon/cron competing implementations?  Can
> we figure out one size that fits all?  Maybe have one daemon
> running and then different ways for a cron job or librarian
> interface task to signal (some SIG perhaps?) that it needs to act?

I've just send a rewrite of zebraqueue daemon that does run (sort of
refactoring of) rebuild_zebra as one would do with cron. I think is
the right way to handle this. Avoid using cron, and configure the
frequency of the update via systempreferences.

I first thought of a script in bash but had some concerns about the
system load as each pass would spawn a new perl process.

To+