[Koha-devel] OPAC Enhancement in Koha 3.4

David Schuster dschust1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 19:03:45 CET 2010

These wold be great developments - but then some of us have issues with
patron privacy...  We have parents and teachers asking for a "list of what
student X has checked out" we like to say this is not doable in Koha.  So if
there was a way to hide the data but use it analytically that would be
fantastic.

David Schuster

2010/12/23 Partha Mukhopadhyay <psm_vu at india.com>

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to put forward a wish list (thinking over it from version
> 2.2.8).....
>

> Preamble
>
> This wish list is based on the assumption that Koha 3.x stores circulation
> history of borrowers. If so, then comes the question how can this dataset be
> utilized in developing new breed of services. And how these services can
> affect the mirror of any type or size library - the OPAC.
>

> Wish list I
>
> Is it possible to detrmine degree of association of authors by utlizing
> circulation data? For example, in a set of 10 borrowers who borrowed book of
> author x (say 10/10) also borrowed book by author y (say 8/10) or author z
> (say 6/10) and so on, the degree of association is higher among author x and
> author y and comparatively lower among author x and author z. It is quite
> easy to determine statistical association of a given author with other
> authors in this way and thereafter generating a map of authors where
> searched author will be in the centre and highly associated authors in 1st
> circle, moderately associated authors in 2nd circle and so on. Confused? Try
> this.......
>
> http://www.literature-map.com/amitav+ghosh.html
>

> Wish list II
>
> If it is possible to incorporate this feature (author mapping) in Koha
> OPAC, then on the basis of same circulation dataset we can generate a
> reading advisory service to new users in a given field of study by giving a
> service called what_should_they_read_next. Confused again? Try this......
>
> Goto http://whatshouldireadnext.com/ and enter "digital library" Witten
>

> Wish list III
>
> If it is possible to incorporate the above two feature (author mapping and
> resource mapping) in Koha OPAC, then on the basis of same circulation
> dataset we can generate service (human mapping this time?) to link borrowers
> who are interested in a given field of study (assuming people reading same
> titles and same authors have coomon area of study/research). Hopefully not
> confused again? Anyway try this......
>
> Goto http://www.connectviabooks.com/ and enter "digital library" Witten
> again.
>

> Hoping my favourite Koha developers will not let us down in this month of
> gift and wishes.
>

> Merry X-mass.....
>

> Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay

> Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
> Lecturer (Sr.), Department of Library and Information Science, University
> of Burdwan,
> Burdwan - 713 104 (WB), India

David Schuster
Plano ISD