[Koha-devel] How about a different way of handling database updates

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:59:16 CET 2010

Hi,

2010/2/3 Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Michael Hafen <mdhafen at tech.washk12.org>
> wrote:
> I realize I haven't been pushing code towards Koha for maybe half a year
> now, but I honestly don't think that DB revisions were a big enough problem
> to have us abandon the advantages of the current approach without a more
> pronounced incentive.

Quickly, from my point of view the main things I'd like to see in a
revised database update system are:

* the ability to end up with a linear set of database updates in
released versions, for the reasons Joe mentions
* secondarily, the ability to have a linear path in HEAD
* a reduction in purely textual merge conflicts - splitting up the
monolithic updatedatabase.pl would go a long way to address this
* a better way to manage database updates that are backported to the
maintenance branch
* a mechanism to allow a developer to readily renumber updates that
they're working on in a topic branch when it comes time to submit to
HEAD
* getting simple system preference updates out of the main

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton