[Koha-devel] feasibility of external circulation updating Koha items table availability

Christopher Curry ccurry at amphilsoc.org
Wed Feb 17 22:06:10 CET 2010

We're implementing Aeon (a paging system that can handle requests for
individual manuscript items from EAD finding aids as well as requests
for mongraphs/serials) alongside Koha and we want to be able to display
item availability in Koha.  Since we're not using Koha's circulation
system, we'll need to link Aeon and Koha so that an item checkout from
Aeon sends a database UPDATE call to Koha and updates items.onloan with
the desired due date (or at least, that's what I've been able to sort
out by poking around).

First, am I correct that updating the availability status of an item in
the Koha Opac requires *only *that we update this field (items.onloan)?

Second, in order to generate the SQL query, something like "UPDATE items
SET onloan=2010-03-10 WHERE itemnumber=706," we'll need access to the
itemnumber from within the OPAC record in order to generate the OpenURL
that Aeon uses to generate requests.  Is this variable available from
within the opac-results.tmpl and opac-details.tmpl templates?  Can
someone tell me how I can call this data?

On that note, does any documentation exist detailing bib/item data
variables like this that can be called from within Opac templates?

--

Cheers,

Christopher Curry
Assistant Technical Librarian / Assistant IT Officer

American Philosophical Society
105 South Fifth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3386
Tel. (215) 599-4299