[Koha-devel] OPAC Secured

Bob Birchall @ Calyx bob at calyx.net.au
Mon Feb 22 06:43:11 CET 2010

Most libraries are happy for the public to come to the OPAC and search the
catalogue without being logged in.  Others however (corporate libraries,
private colleges) require the user to be logged in before the collection or
any functionality is exposed.

Koha currently supports the first approach.  The second approach is
achievable by adding jquery to the template (won't stop hacking) or by
editing the perl code to set 'authnotrequired' value to '0' per page.
Neither way is user-friendly or produces an elegant display.

We propose adding a syspref 'OpacNotPublic' or similar which when set to
'OFF' will cause no change to current behaviour.  When set to 'ON' a
different template will be called by opacmain.pl that will display:
-	a login prompt similar to that for the staff client;
-	the value of opacsmallimage;
-	the value of opacheader;
-	the value of opaccredits.
Not displayed on this page will be:
-	the search bar and the cart and list buttons;
-	the value of opacnav;
-	the value of opacmainuserblock.

Upon logging in, the user is directed to 'opac-user.pl' as is the case now.

Before we lodge on Bugzilla, are there any comments?

Bob Birchall
CALYX