[Koha-devel] Cron Jobs

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Mon Jan 11 17:43:16 CET 2010

> Where then would this new page with the clouds on it be visible? I see
> that it generates files in the template folder - does this mean it's
> up to the librarians to add links?

As you may have noted, this script does a similar job as
build_browser_and_cloud.pl. The difference is that its output is sent in
files rather than in a table directly used in OPAC The other difference
is that it is configurable and can deal with any Zebra index. It means
that you can produce clouds for authors, collective author, all kind of
subjects, classifications, etc. And since it works on zebra indexes, it
is quick, even on large DBs.

Tags clouds are sent to files. It's up to library webmaster to deal with
those files in order to include them in OPACMainUserBlock, or include
them into their library CMS. I see libraries sending those file into a
Samba shared folder where webmaster take them, eventually clean them a
little bit before integrating them into navigation widgets or pages.

> Also, how often would you recommend running this script? Once a day?
> Multiple times in one day?

I'm not even sure it's a cron script... On a large catalog, top
subjects, top authors don't change much. It could be a monthly
periodicity. It will be another story when this script will be able to
output top keywords on a period of acquisition, for example top authors
on last month...

Thanks for you documentation job.
--
Frédéric