[Koha-devel] KUDOS - ALA—Boston Public Library at 3 PM on Saturday, January 16. Proposed Agenda

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Jan 15 02:16:46 CET 2010

Hi David,

It's nice to see things taking shape for the realization of KUDOS. The work
of all those involved is appreciated.

While looking over your post and the KUDOS site and giving serious
consideration to applying for membership once KUDOS is off the ground, a few
questions arose as I found that developers (of which I am one) would not be
able to gain voting privileges unless they were directly employed by a
library. Rather than go into a discussion of those specific concerns, I
offer a couple of suggestions below which, if implemented, would probably
answer my concerns.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM, David Schuster <dschust1 at tx.rr.com> wrote:

> ·       Mission: The purposes of the Corporation are educational, literary,
> and scientific, specifically: to promote the study, improvement and support
> of the Koha Integrated Library System for the benefit of North American
> libraries and to foster cooperation with the global Koha community.

<snip>

o       Membership benefits: vote on administrative budget, vote to appoint

> members to board, vote to appoint members to development committee, annual
> meeting, newsletter and website access to shared member services

<snip>

> o       A non-voting membership will be available with access to same
> resources, but no voting rights.  This will typically be for vendors
> supporting Koha.  Dues will be based on the highest dues assigned a
> Library/Consortia member.

It may be good to explain what the KUDOS anachronism stands for and how it
is relevant to the current mission statement.

It might be good for KUDOS to expand on how membership will benefit
"non-voting" members.

It also might be good to clarify what sorts of roles/functions/expectations
KUDOS has for "non-voting" members.

Kind Regards,
Chris