[Koha-devel] rewrite-config.PL

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jan 19 02:55:39 CET 2010

Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:
>   I had problems with rewrite-config.PL with a commercial hosting
>   company where the hostname() gave a wrong answer. I suggest to
>   replace to call to hostname() in rewrite-config.PL with calls to
>   system utilities that a user could use to verify the state of the
>   system. [...]

If hostname() is giving a wrong answer, the system has some problems
and there is no guarantee that the system utilities will give a
correct answer either.  Also, hostname will try the system utilities
in some situations already - see man Sys::Hostname:

       Attempts several methods of getting the system hostname and then caches
       the result.  It tries the first available of the C library's gethost-
       name(), `$Config{aphostname}`, uname(2), "syscall(SYS_gethostname)",
       `hostname`, `uname -n`, and the file /com/host.  If all that fails it
       "croak"s.

It might be worth checking which of those is giving your wrong answer,
to see if there is a misconfiguration by the hosting company which
might come back to haunt you later.

On awkward systems like that, it would be safer if the operator
sets the WEBSERVER_HOST and WEBSERVER_IP environment variables
before the installation.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software