[Koha-devel] How about a different way of handling database updates

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Thu Jan 28 16:46:06 CET 2010

Clearing the tracking table isn't necessary.  I'm thinking 50 versions
down the road when the tracking table has some 500 strings.  This makes
it a little harder to ensure a unique string for the update.  And I
would rather the table stay small to be quicker to index and to take up
less space on the database server.  Since it's just the one string,
which has to be unique anyway, this is a very insignificant concern.

My thoughts on the title of the update though are a little different
from your example.  I'll explain here so you all know what I'm thinking.
I think an example would best illustrate.  If it were the title of one
of my updates it might be 'mdhafen.001' or 'wcsd.3_0_0.001'.  Or maybe
even 'wcsd.mdhafen.001'.  I'm just beginning to think of the details of
the title scheme.  I think that third example is what I'll end up with.
For Kyle perhaps the title would be 'ccfls.kyle_m_hall.001'.  So that's
what I'm thinking; that should make it easy to have unique update
titles.

Comments?

--
Michael Hafen