[Koha-devel] How about a different way of handling database updates

LAURENT Henri-Damien henridamien.laurent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 22:46:45 CET 2010

Michael Hafen a écrit :
> Update order.  I hadn't thought of that.  That could be a big deal.

Well it could be important at some point :
you cannot update a field which doesnot exist.
And so on....
> I'm already committed to writing it if it does get traction.  I have a
> couple database updates in my own branch that couldn't be in the the
> updatedatabase.pl obviously.  If this does get traction and we can
> figure out the patch order thing I'll want this a lot.

Another thing that I like about your idea is that it could point to
atomic change files...
Easily test-able, easily indentified in a hierarchy of folders.
BibLibre-Lyon-1 could make call for instance to biblibre/Lyon/1.pl ...
Therefore, we would not end up with having merge conflicts.

Maybe we could add to pl file a do and undo function so that...
we can do and undo those updates. (But this is just day dreaming, just
before going to bed.)
I can't wait for your proposal :P

My two cents though ;)
--