[Koha-devel] How about a different way of handling database updates

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Fri Jan 29 17:01:35 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 05:46 +0100, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:
> Imagine we had a column activate in your table where an active update
> would HAVE to be done.
> We would be able to "check" that it has been done.

I think it could be easier than that.  If your update is dependent on
another update, and you know the id string for the update, then just
'select * from db_updates where update_id = "id_string"'.  I could even
have a sub to do just that and return true or false depending on whether
it found the id string.  At that point it makes sense to have the
updatedatabase.pl load all the applied update id's into a hash for
initial checking and dependency checking.

> I think that we should not have to do the loop over and over again at
> each page loading. But have a maintenance or an about screen where you
> can check against the updates applied and not applied.

Having an about page that lists applied updates is a good idea.  That
would be easy.  Have a finalizing sub that records the update id and
description to the database and outputs those for logging.

--
Michael Hafen
Systems Analyst and Programmer

for Koha checkout