[Koha-devel] Moving system preference serialization into the database

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 20:37:19 CEST 2010

I'm also against translating SQL when templated techniques are feasible.
 But if the feature needed is to allow staff users the ability to enter
multiple translations *at runtime* with no systems-level administration,
then the only question is whether to allow Koha to:

   1. write to a directory that it later uses for data, or
   2. put more stuff in the database.

The former case would also change the security profile of Koha
significantly.  Allowing your application to write to template directories
is bad practice.  Among other things, if you happen to be running your Koha
installations off of git repos (as I know several vendors do), then having
new uncommitted changes in the repo will *block* git pull/rebase for
updates.  I regard it as inadvisable.

The latter is also undesirable, but only because we are talking about trying
to translate SQL, and for the reasons Frederic points out having to do with
translation.  Therefore the fix is to do something like allowing to Koha to
ingest values from a template file at install and runtime.  Read the
template (doesn't have to be H:T:P, as long as we can get PO files from it),
parse it to whatever, match against keys in the syspref table and update
description.

I should say that I am unconcerned with translation of descriptions for
purely local use variables if the user can control the description field in
the DB.  They can write the description in as many languages as they need.
 For standard sysprefs that need to be translated, I would still want to
route everything through http://translate.koha-community.org/ .  This might
mean a longer turnaround to get the result onto a production system, but it
certainly would lead to better satisfaction with Koha for other users of the
same language.

--joe