[Koha-devel] Release Manager : how long (open question)

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sat Jul 24 09:56:10 CEST 2010

On 24 July 2010 17:14, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Hi koha-devel,
>
> Chris announced that he planned to release a version every 6 months. I'm
> for a "time based" release management, that's the same thing.

More like I plan to release 3.4 around 6 months after starting it.
Rather than planning to release a version every 6 months ;)

> Chris has been elected as RM for Koha 3.4 but what will happend in "6
> months" when 3.4 is released ? Will we elect a new RM immediatly for
> 3.6, that will be RM only for 6 months as well.
> I don't think it would be a good idea to change the RM every 6 months...
> So, shouldn't the RM be elected for a duration instead of for a version
> ? it's an open question, so let's start the thread about that...
>
> Some ideas :
> - 2 years or 3 major releases, the 1st that happend
> - 2 years
> - 1 year, that can be continued once (ie : after 1 year : vote to
> confirm the RM. If not confirmed, then, new elections)
> - unlimited duration, confirmed every year
> - ...
A lot of that of course depends on what the RM wants, in my past
experience it isn't a very fun job and takes a lot of time. I'm sure
the others who have served as release managers/maintainers would
agree. I'm not sure I'd be up for doing 2 releases in a row, and I
actually think it might be good to change the release manager often. I
think working on making the transition easy and making the RM's duties
less onerous is the way to go and then shift the duties around each 6
months would be good.

I'm very happy to see Owen's blog post about how he works with
branches, http://www.myacpl.org/koha/?p=558, if people work like this
the RM duties become less difficult.

Chris