[Koha-devel] memcached?

Dobrica Pavlinusic dpavlin at rot13.org
Fri Jun 4 18:40:33 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:35:51PM +0100, Colin Campbell wrote:
> On 04/06/10 15:42, Cindy Murdock Ames wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >The good news: CCFLS went live with 3.2alpha2 on Tuesday! The bad news:
> >our transactions are *really* slow at times. I suspect the culprit is
> >probably a ton of simultaneous mysql activity.
> Have you done any tuning of mysql? Out of the box it probably is
> using less memory than it needs for efficient running. A lot of the
> my.cnf parameters can be tuned to improve throughput.
> Memcache can work wonders but it needs to be caching the data thats
> causing you to thrash the db. I'm not sure we've reached that point
> yet.

I documented my journy over mysql tuning for Koha at:

http://blog.rot13.org/2010/04/mysql_is_slow_did_you_tune_your_settings.html

Just running mysqltuner.pl or tuning-primer.sh will probably be enough
:-)

I would highly recommend putting session files at filesystem as opposed
to database, especially if you have semi-high load on your website (web
crawlers and what not) because it cut down database load by 75% for us.

Testing current memcache in Koha, it seemed to be used only for
localization caching, and it was a bit slower on our system after some
basic profiling. YMMV.

--
Dobrica Pavlinusic               2share!2flame            dpavlin at rot13.org
Unix addict. Internet consultant.             http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin