[Koha-devel] NoSQL

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 17:53:36 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Cab Vinton <bibliwho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have come across references to this a few times recently & am curious
> enough to ask the development community whether the NoSQL movement
> holds any relevance for Koha's future.
>
> According to that font of universal wisdom, Wikipedia, "Typical modern
> relational databases have shown poor performance on data-intensive
> applications including indexing a large number of documents [= any
> ILS?], serving pages on high-traffic websites and delivering streaming
> media. They can be efficient only when they are tuned either for small
> but frequent read/write transactions or for large batch transactions
> with rare write accesses, while there are demands for the data stores
> capable of heavy workloads with frequent updates."
>
> Thoughts? How wedded is Koha to SQL in the long run?

Very wedded for now, and logically so, imho.

We don't use SQL for indexing large numbers of (MARCXML) documents.  We use
zebra for that.  Zebra, despite whatever complaints we might have about ease
of configuration, certainly is highly scalable.

Our documents are still pretty small by rest-of-the-world standards, though
I could see this question coming back if features around digital repository
functionality are submitted.

--Joe