[Koha-devel] BibLibre strategy for Koha 3.4 and next versions

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Jun 21 19:47:01 CEST 2010

Le 02/06/2010 10:25, Chris Cormack a écrit :

> > So as RM I accept the challenge of faster releases, and throw back a
> > challenge of better patches :)

Chris & al,

We (BibLibre & the community) face a big problem, and we must deal with
it here and now : we (BibLibre) are deploying biblibre/master. It's live
in Lyon3 university, it'll be live in Nimes next weeks, in SAN-OP in a
few more weeks (migrating from 3.0).
It contains a lot of new features (circ rules rewritten, and other new
features described in wiki.koha-community.org, RFC for 3.4 from BibLibre)

And we have a lot of new contracts falling.

The technical fact :
- we (BibLibre) have 450+ patches on git.biblibre.com, master branch,
that are not in git.koha-community.org (new features & bugfixes)
- koha-community has 100 patches that are not on biblibre/master

So : if we do nothing, in a few *weeks*, we will have a fork that we
want to avoid !

Here is our proposal :
1- release 3.2
2- we (BibLibre) rebase our master to 3.2 (that's 450+ patches)
3- we (BibLibre) submit them to master/koha
4- you (chris) push them into main trunk (as they are)
5- we (community) define the rules for all the next devs.
6- start working with new rules => september

1-Release 3.2 :
=============
hdl will take care this next two weeks of the 2 BLO related to updatedatabase & affected to him

2 - rebase biblibre/master on koha/master
==============
We (BibLibre) take care of rebasing our master at a date we define altogether. As that will be a HUGE work, you (chris) don't apply any other patches while we rebase to avoid breaking our work. We think we would need one week (maybe two) to rebase & test properly.

3/4 - push biblibre patches on koha/master
You (chris) push our 450+ patches on koha/master. Since the new rules were not defined when we wrote all this code, those patches don't abide by those rules and can't.

5 - define rules
Once 3.2 is released, we (community) set all rules (Including coding style, test cases, choosing OO pattern, standard commit notes,...) and everybody use them - including us (BibLibre) we don't request to be favored -

6 - work on 3.4
All RFCs we wrote on the wiki are now implemented for our Nimes & Lyon 3 customers. If something new comes, we will respect fully the new rules. There may be some patches fixing Lyon3/Nimes features that won't respect them, but, hopefully, there will be only a few of them (Lyon3 is live, Nimes go live next week, so it's really stable)
-- Paul POULAIN http://www.biblibre.com Expert en Logiciels Libres pour
l'info-doc Tel : (33) 4 91 81 35 08