[Koha-devel] searching for phrases

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:06:07 CET 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong- but I've been told that Zebra is the reason
> the facets work the way they do - and there are issues there as well.

It's more correct to say that since Koha's facets *don't* use Zebra's
native facet functionality that they don't work as well as they
should.

> I don't find the only issue with Zebra to be phrase searching, but
> also boolean searches, the ordering of the facets, the inability to
> show the number of hits next to facets or order them in alpha order
> ... and maybe even more I'm forgetting now.

All of those issues have more to do with C4::Search than Zebra itself.

> But I do agree that there will be problems no matter what - or maybe
> not problems but challenges - this is the nature of technology.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not speaking as an apologist for Zebra,
except possibly to counter-balance what I think are some
mischaracterizations of where the problems lie.  I would be quite
happy to have Koha work with Solr as well.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton