[Koha-devel] Converting Koha sources to UTF-8

Lars Wirzenius lars at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Mar 28 21:27:54 CEST 2010

In my haste, I already sent out a series of patches that take care of
the easy cases of UTF-8 conversion.

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 07:45 -0700, Galen Charlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/3/24 Lars Wirzenius <lars at catalyst.net.nz>:
> > C4/tests/testrecords/marc21_marc8_combining_chars.dat
>
> This should be left alone - it is a test file for converting MARC
> records from the MARC-8 character set to UTF-8.

Right. My patches include a find-nonutf8 script, which ignores those
files now.

> > etc/zebradb/etc/urx.chr
> > etc/zebradb/lang_defs/en/sort-string-utf.chr
>
> This can be converted to UTF-8, but not mechanically.  They're Zebra
> configurations that are expected to be in ISO-8859-1 by default.  To
> signal that they're using UTF-8, the following directive would have to
> be added to them and the results of the indexing tested:
>
> encoding utf-8

Since I am still getting up to speed with Koha development, I am not
sure I can test this reliably yet. My patches also ignore these files,
which I think will be fine for now.