[Koha-devel] Possible IRC tutorial nginx and FastCGI

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Mon May 3 23:10:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:

>  Does the speed increase come more from FastCGI or more from
>  using nginx instead of Apache? I generally don't like Apache,
>  but using a different web server means finding a box where you
>  run just that server or convert all servers to the alternative
>  servers. Both approaches are costly.

I work with Chris on the large nginx using project he referred to. One
thing he maybe didn't mention is that it plays very nicely alongside
and/or in front of apache.

We use them both with easy requests handled by nginx. It forwards more
complex ones (about 6% of requests in our case) up to apache. Our
application is a very high performance news web site -- so we can tell
you that it is a fast running configuration though it might not sound
it.

Whether a dual layer setup makes sense for production Koha -- I don't
know, Chris could say.

A dual layer config would be easy to set up so you could just let
nginx handle certain requests - or none if it was making trouble.

I can also tell you that the more I work with nginx the more I like
it. Not sure why, I just do.

-reed