[Koha-devel] Getting rid of YUI ?

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Tue Nov 2 15:02:35 CET 2010

On 02/11/2010 14:32, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Galen Charlton <gmcharlt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Other question : should we have jquery code inside koha (and thus having
>>> to take care of the updates) or should we use an external source ? (does
>>> this exist ? for yui it does, see yuipath syspref in koha)
>>
>> I agree with Chris that we need to provide options for both an
>> external and internal source.
>
> I think Koha shouldn't depend on external libraries release cycles and
> provided API stability. We should depend on included and tested
> version of the libraries  and backport security fixes from upstream.

When Koha is packaged into a distribution (Debian for example), embedding
copies of external libraries is always a bad point. So, you should
prepare the code to use another (local) copy of this library.

IMHO, the best way is to provide a copy of the external libraries with
the Koha code (so that users that download directly Koha can easily use
it) but to put it in a separate directory so that packagers can
remove it and replace it with symlinks to the system-wide library
(such as the contents of the libjs-jquery-ui package in Debian for
example)

  Regards
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot