[Koha-devel] A Discussion on A Policy Setting Forth Standards of Code Submission, etc.

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Tue Nov 2 23:10:28 CET 2010

Le 02/11/2010 23:05, Chris Cormack a écrit :
>> I think we (all) failed because Koha 3.2 was 9 months late. Well, in
>> fact, I think the mistake was not to branch 3.4 immediatly on feature
>> freeze. That would have been much less pain for us (that are
>> customer-planning driven) (suggestion below).
>>
> What would have caused much much much less pain for you, was to
> develop your features in small branches, rather than one monolithic
> branch which makes rebasing much harder than it needs to be.
>
> This is a lesson that cannot be overstated, topic/bug/feature branches
> make everyones lives much easier. And they mean that if one feature is
> rejected ... then the whole stack doesn't need to be.

agreed: we made a mistake here. (and don't plan to do it again !)
> I don't think branching sooner or an earlier release would have helped
> anywhere near as much as developing in smaller branches, not one huge
> one.

Partially agreeing, I'd like to discuss of this topic on the next IRC
meeting, i'm not fully sure I see clearly the best path (branching too
early means that bugfix patches would have to be done on both branches)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com